2015/2016 Objectives & Achievements
- Support our charity of the year, Roald Dahl’s Marvellous Children’s Charity
- Funds were raised through a variety of ways including:
- The annual Charity Day, (a themed fancy dress fundraising event in-store);
- Team fundraising events in-stores across the business;
- Regular local donations including supporting schools, the local community, the town of Syston when Dunelm Store Support Centre is based, and communities where colleagues have expressed passion for a local cause.
- Continue to support our colleagues in their charitable fundraising efforts and by offering an annual day’s leave to support charitable activities
- Colleagues regularly volunteer their time thanks to the ‘Charity Day’ annual leave colleague benefit.
- Colleagues have been participating in marathons bungee jumps, mountain treks and skydives to raise money for our charity of the year and charities within local communities.
- National and international donations with funds being sent to a variety of charities including: LOROS, Marie Curie, Cancer Research, Childreach International.
- Sponsor for the ‘7 days 7 irons’ challenge, supporting an individual who will complete seven triathlons from Land’s End to John O’Groats in seven days, and passing by 23 of our stores en route
- Full sponsorship of a colleague across various channels whilst he participated in the 7 days 7 irons challenge, with stores supporting him all the way through his seven day journey.
What do we do?
We and our colleagues believe that the Company should contribute to the communities in which we operate, both nationally and in the local store community.
The Group pays corporation tax on its operations in the United Kingdom and does not operate in any tax havens, or use any tax avoidance schemes.
We have a Charity Committee which adopts a ‘charity of the year’, for which collections are made in-store, specific fund-raising events are organised and the Group makes its own donations. Each store has a ‘Charity Champion’ and amounts raised by store are reported monthly, with the top three recognised in the Dunelm Gazette.
We also support colleagues who are raising money for charities of their choice, often by matching the sums raised. All colleagues are entitled to an extra day’s paid leave to undertake charitable activities.
We donate funds raised from English and Scottish carrier bag sales to Roald Dahl’s Marvellous Children’s Charity, and from Welsh carrier bag sales to GroundWork. GroundWork is a charitable organisation which brings people and the environment together with practical local action to build stronger communities, create more green spaces and get people back into work through creating green jobs.
The total value of charitable donations made by the Group in the period ended 2 July 2016 was £58,541 (2015: £98,000). Total funds raised for charity by the Group and colleagues was £231,328 (2015: £366,000).
During the Summer of 2016 we embarked on a Company-wide Dunelm Relay Challenge involving 160 locations within the estate and key suppliers. Our goal was to raise funds to support Roald Dahl’s Marvellous Children’s Charity with this Company-wide challenge beginning in July 2016 and ending in August 2016.
From Autumn 2016 we have a new charity partnership with Homestart. Our goal is to support Homestart for a two year partnership and support their mission to help families create a nurturing, loving and stable family and home environment.
Continue to support our colleagues in their charitable fundraising efforts by offering an annual day’s leave to support charitable activities.
We will continue to support local causes and community focuses where possible to ensure we help the communities around our entire estate.